SC MONTHLY MINUTE WORD TREND
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2019 14COM Bogotá (INTERVENTION 14 December)
1. Let me first to address the issue of advisory functions that the Committee wishes accredited NGOs to fulfill.
2. Apart from serving in the Evaluation Body, the ICH NGO Forum has identified seven additional groups of functions.
3. As for the “the disparity in size and capacities of accredited NGOs”, addressed in paragraph 9 of the Secretariat’s report, we consider it as a direct and necessary reality in response to the variety and diversity of communities, groups and individuals that we serve; yet keeping in mind complications that such variations may present in the assessment of NGOs’ contributions, and consequently in the accreditation system.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2019 14COM Bogotá (INTERVENTION 13 December)
1. Regarding pre-inscription monitoring, it was underscored that the involvement of communities, groups and individuals and NGOs should be increased since their inclusion in the ICH element selection processes for nomination to UNESCO lists varies widely and now lies fully in the hands of States Parties.
2. NGOs hope that a new periodic reporting system will be more inclusive for NGOs. Regarding the assessment of the urgent need to safeguard an ICH element it was felt that there is no methodology to evaluate the level of urgency available at hand at the moment.
3. Regarding the discussion about the Register of Good Safeguarding Practices participants agreed that the register is not given the visibility it deserves and is not perceived as important.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2019 14COM Bogotá (INTERVENTION-2 9 December)
1. And so while the official 14.COM sessions have started today, the ICH NGO Forum on yesterday and the day before has held largely successful capacity building and concept developing meetings which were directly focused on the topic of the current and potential advisory functions that NGOs provide under the 2003 Convention, and regional needs, opportunities and challenges.
2. Madam Chair, the ICH NGO Forum considers these meetings of great benefit to the work of NGOs, their own capacity development and how they are operating under the Convention, and therefore, we would kindly request that the assistance provided to NGOs from developing countries from the Fund be extended to cover both days of the Forum’s activities, which is the Saturday and Sunday before the Intergovernmental Committee Meetings, and not only one day as it currently is now.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2019 14COM Bogotá (INTERVENTION-1 9 December)
1. We also talk about how NGOs can contribute to face multiple challenges on the listing mechanism for the local bearers.
2. 14 comes to the floor, including our written working proposal that would be further elaborated and made publicly available with the view to include recommendations into the global reflection process on the reform of the listing mechanism ICH NGO Forum is an association that is looking to add all the voices of the accredited NGOs, thus we are in a process to strengthen our governance by creating a code of conduct and operating rules that has been exposed to the present NGOs. We invite you to participate in the events of the NGOs, today we have the presentation of the heritage alive book on traditional food that collects 17 examples of good practices worldwide.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2018 13COM Port Louis NGO STATEMENT
1. As an international platform for accredited ICH NGOs the Forum is committed to contribute to the implementation of the 2003 Convention and the safeguarding of ICH.
2. We have 7 working groups working on specific issues such as capacity building, research, ethics, Overall Results Framework, lighter ways of sharing safeguarding experiences, ICT for ICH, education and sustainable development.
3. In a strategy for increasing involvement of accredited NGOs in the implementation of the UNESCO 2003 Convention at the national and (sub)regional levels through capacity building, the first ICH NGO FORUM Capacity Building project was realized last year 2017 in Jeju at 12.COM.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2017 12COM Jeju NGO STATEMENT
1. The ICH NGO Forum works for strengthening the outreach and civil society involvement in the life of the Convention.
2. The ICH NGO Forum appreciates the support received this year from Indonesia, the Korea Cultural Foundation and ICHCAP for capacity building, networking and experience sharing.
3. As a response, we would therefore welcome the creation of an informal working group with State Parties, the Secretariat, and NGOs, including the NGO Forum, to enhance the formal contribution of NGOs in the implementation of the Convention.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2016 11COM Addis Ababa NGO STATEMENT
1. The ICH NGO Forum has set up a Steering Committee since IGC 10.COM to represent the Forum and coordinate, encourage, facilitate and support its functions.
2. In addition to the 11.COM sessions, the NGOs had every day working groups and Forum meetings this week.
3. Working groups on Capacity Building and on African NGOs also discussed and planned way forward during this 11.COM week in Addis Ababa.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2015 10COM Windhoek NGO STATEMENT
1. A catalyst for these developments has been the changes to the operation of the Convention with the 1st review of the accredited NGOs and the introduction of the Evaluation Body in 2014 in which six NGOs offer important advisory services to the committee.
2. The Forum is the representative coordinating body of the accredited ICH NGOs and is there to facilitate the contribution of the ICH NGOs to the implementation of the Convention.
3. The Forum is committed to developing the network of accredited ICH NGOs, facilitating dialogue and the exchange of information and experiences.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2014 9COM Paris NGO STATEMENT
1. The ICH NGO Forum is gradually building capacity in order to support the safeguarding aims of the UNESCO 2003 Convention.
2. The ICH NGO Forum has the potential to further support NGOs in the future accreditation processes and in the organization of networking opportunities and in the sharing of experience not only in the practices of
3. In line with our previous comments the NGO Forum is discussing and sharing experiences in the process of evaluating the NGOs. A possible undertaking for the future could be to assure capacity building training for accreditation that certifies the candidate NGO.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2013 8COM Baku NGO STATEMENT
1. The NGO Forum welcomes the decisions of the Committee on the recognition of the role of NGOs and on the necessity of their greater involvement in the implementation of the Convention.
2. Moreover, 15 of the NGOs were able to attend thanks to the support of the Fund for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
3. The NGO Forum welcomes the inscriptions on the Urgent Safeguarding list, on the Representative list as well as on the Best Practices Register, regretting however the underutilization of certain mechanisms, particularly the International Assistance.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2012 7COM Paris NGO STATEMENT
1. The meeting took note of the important functions fulfilled by the NGOs in the implementation of the 2003 Convention from community level to national and international level, having in mind that the NGOs as stakeholders and intermediaries.
2. to take note of the willingness of NGOs to contribute to the strengthening of the fundamental community participation in the implementation of the 2003 Convention, and to offer their support and expertise as accredited NGOs in national and international processes and efforts for capacity building and safeguarding of ICH.
3. to explore possibilities at multilateral level to develop the advisory functions of Accredited NGOs. to recognise that the role of accredited NGO’s as stakeholders in the implementation of the Convention goes beyond the limited opportunities to act in an advisory capacity to the Committee, and therefore consider them to be active participants in any possible revision of the criteria for accreditation.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2010 5COM Nairobi NGO STATEMENT
1. We thank UNESCO’s Secretariat for the efficient organization of our meeting and hope that such important initiative takes place prior to all IGC meetings in the future, with support for travel expenses of NGOs from developing countries.
2. It is important in the process of implementing ICH Convention to have a wide participation of civil society and communities.
3. The NGOs Forum is a unique occasion to establish a closer dialogue with the States Parties, as well as among ourselves, on issues that are critical to the implementation of the ICH Convention, like matters concerning the communities’ participation in the safeguarding process and the significance that ICH elements have for them.
ICH NGO FORUM Steering Committee ’s Minutes of 2009 4COM Abu Dhabi NGO STATEMENT
1. We also want to thank all and each of the members of the Intergovernmental Committee and the Secretariat for their important contribution to the implementation of the convention.
2. some of them are up to us and can be built by ourselves through our already existing capacities, but for some others we need to work jointly with the committee and the secretariat.
3. In order to enhance the NGO regional balance we look forward to the creation of virtual space for debate, using technological resources in a creative way to ensure that we can continue to build and strengthen the engagement of civil society for the Convention.